X-Men: End Times Talk|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
X-Men: End Times rebirth discussion's LiveJournal:
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Thursday, February 2nd, 2006|
State of the XET Report
We know things have been very slow these last couple months, what
with Nanowrimo first and holidays second, but we are still
committed to making XET work. So, even though we seem to have hit
a standstill we're still trying to get plots ongoing, both old and
new, and, in the hopes it'll get people out and more active, we
are also trying out a new idea that might spark some new interest.
In addition to Canon Characters, Original Characters, Temp
Characters, and Fodder Characters, we're debuting a new type:
Fill-In characters are specific canon characters who aren't
currently being played, that we are opening up for ANY player
to RP for a scene or two, to help move plots along or just keep
things interesting. In essence, they become community NPCs. ( Read more...Collapse )
To start with, expect the following to be released on the X-Men side:
We'll also be looking at potential Brotherhood people, and, of
course, villains anyone can pick up and use for a scene or two.
|Monday, September 5th, 2005|
XET Address Change
Just in case any of y'all missed the bboard announcement, xmush.org is no longer in service, so if you're having trouble connecting to XET
, you need to telnet/MUClient to xet.vulpine.org 2104 - that's an alternate address that's worked all along, so if that's what's already set, you might not have to make any change, but just in case, this is the way to go.
|Wednesday, August 3rd, 2005|
No, I'm not a member of X-Men: End Times; I stumbled in here due to an LJ Interest Search for "cthulhu", and I can't tell you how cool it is to have found something that combines several of my interests: X-Men, Lovecraft Mythos and MUSHing.
Holy crap! to coin a phrase.
It sounds like a lot of fun, and y'all have done a lot of hard work.
I used to MUSH quite regularly on DUNEIII many years ago, so you can tell I like the RPing aspect more than the hack and slash aspect.
I was one of the first game testers for Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu back when I lived in San Francisco.
I'm seriously tempted to crank up the client and put in an app. I think Angel would be a fascinating character to play.
Anyway, great job, great idea and best of luck!
|Saturday, July 9th, 2005|
The Opening Scene
Thanks to everyone that participated in the opening scene on XEt, especially newnumber6 who had the unenviable job of running about five characters at once. I had great fun and it's great to see XET back again.
And, dammit, I really missed it.
Anyone that hasn't re-apped, get your apps in now. I want to play with you guys. :D
|Tuesday, June 21st, 2005|
July 8 2005 - XET Returns
I'm sure by now that everyone knows that the official "open" date for XET - The Return is July 8th.
I've spoken with the other staffers and we have a new opening TP ready. It's still in the inital stages.
However we've got some of the general ideas and plans worked out.
In any case, I only mention all this so that our players know that we are moving ahead.
Things are ready to get up and go. All we need is for folks to get their apps in.
We've had a flurry of approvals over the last few days. Still waiting for everyone to get their apps in.
So if you have not, please do.
As well, waiting to see what happens wrt our current team rosters.
Currently we have a few X-men and the Scoobies. We also have the Ultimates (which is largely NPCs).
Excelsior has yet to make an IC presence, but is made up of former Packers.
Brotherhood is defunct (as an active team).
What we need is some new blood into old teams. Or old blood into new teams. Or new blood in new teams.
However it works out. Current Mood: restless
|Tuesday, June 7th, 2005|
Whipcrack + More brainstorming needed
The initial idea for the Opening TP was an attack on the Brotherhood that forces them to close ranks with the Xers. Right now it may need some reworking for a simple reason:
As far as we can tell, right now, there isn't any Brotherhood presence to speak of. Maybe people are secretly working on Brotherhood alts, but we haven't heard any, and to the best of our current knowledge, the PCs in the Brotherhood once the game gets going will be:Scuzz
Yep, that's it. Scott might come back if there were actually a Brotherhood presence (though I can't speak for him), but just for Scuzz, it's really not worth it to do a 'Brotherhood and Xers close ranks'... I already have an alt in the mansion, and as fun as it might be to have Scuzz being a jerk there, he wouldn't hang there on his own.
So, we need alternate opening TP suggestions... we could still have the Xers attacked by Karotechia I suppose, but it lacks the same fun to it that the teamup did, so I thought I'd open it up for suggestions again... preferably something that lets a lot of different people get involved.
(Also, this is your irregularly scheduled cracking of the whip if you haven't yet been approved for RP. Get your character changes, if any, done, or your new apps and preapps in! :))
|Thursday, May 19th, 2005|
|Saturday, May 14th, 2005|
Lurching towards Activity
Well, here we are, roughly a month and a half into reanimating this game. (Somehow that just fits. ;) I'm eagerly awaiting someone else getting approved so we can get things started, generate some logs. Rina's been approved for a week or so. And I've been thinking of all kinds of charmingly surly new 'tude for her. Any takers?
-HH (Rina's player)
|Wednesday, May 4th, 2005|
Further Excelsior Clarification
Zanny and I were talking earlier about the fate of The Pack, its relation to Excelsior and the structure of Excelsior itself. Zan would like a little more structure brought to what's quite a vague organization at the moment, so we beat out a few ideas. Everything that follows is MY OPINION, nothing official, nor is it meant to be. Just a starting point maybe we can beat something out from?
( Read more...Collapse )
|Monday, May 2nd, 2005|
Discussion has tapered off again, so I think we're at the point where we'd better just make decisions based on what's already been said and just get started. To that end, unless there are any extreme objections:( Read more...Collapse )
So, I think we're now open fully for apps and reapps. The policy for new characters is pretty straightforward, I think, but for reapps:( Read more...Collapse )
Still time for discussion on various topics if you have anything you need to say that hasn't been.
|Friday, April 29th, 2005|
Cannibal Nazi and Rabid Wolves
So from the discussion in LJ plus what talk there has been on XETT, seems like we're pretty much settled on the concept of our opening TP. That being that the K crew launch an attack against our merry mutants, forcing them to close ranks.
Now unto a few paritculars. From what I remember (and htat isn't much these days), the Xers ran afoul of our cannibal Nazi's, kicked butt and ran away with stash in tow. Until now, the Brotherhood has had no interaction with them.
Doesn't this then change our parameters? The idea seemed to focus around the Brothers getting their butts handed to them and running to the Xmen. Would it really work in reverse? Does it even matter?
In any case, I liked what ideas I've been hearing. With a bit more work I think we'll have our Tp ready to go.
|Wednesday, April 27th, 2005|
Hanging Plots and Dangling Threads
As luck would have it, I've found some of my old notes from XET I.
In that spreadsheet was a roster listing (which now needs to be updated).
As well, I had a list of plotlines.
Here they are some that could apply to XETT:
1) Whatever has become of Monet's comatose body?
2) Where is Rachel Summers?
3) Dream a little dream of me - Who is the Dreamland entity after the Scoobies and what is its plan?
4) Weapon X has genetic material from PCs to make babies with.
5) Where is Adam Warlock, Is his Father still alive and what of his siblings?
I know we're still searching for a BIG BANG re-opening TP. I'm still working on that.... Current Mood: contemplative
|Monday, April 25th, 2005|
My take on Excelsior
I'm posting this as a new subject just cos itskinda spammy. ;)
California has embraced many alternative cultures over the decades, be it the hippy movement of the sixties or the "pink" neighborhoods of San Francisco so it should be little surprise that Excelsior found its birthplace on the streets of L.A. ( Read more...Collapse )
|Sunday, April 24th, 2005|
So, things have been quiet recently... I know I've been a little busy these last few days (both working on MU* things like new newsfile and such, and non-MU* stuff), and others have told me the same thing, but let's try to get the ball rolling again. ( Read more...Collapse )
|Monday, April 18th, 2005|
One Year Gap Poll
Okay, to cut through the discussion a bit, let's try to get settled what we've settled, with a simple vote on the major ideas presented. I'm cutting out things which are clearly plot-foo for the future or for individual players to decide.( Read more...Collapse )
|Friday, April 15th, 2005|
Year Gap Events
Cut and pasted from Kirk's April Fools' post. It's as good a place as any to start for Year Gap ideas.
1. Similar to the comics, Xavier is now publicly 'out' as a mutant, as is the school. He personally made the statement on live television, and even though he has downplayed the extent of his abilities, many do not trust him. The existence of the X-Men is known about, but not their true missions or objectives - they're designated as a disaster relief task force who are occasionally called in to assist the government in apprehending dangerous mutants.
2. The government has finished forming its own superteam, known as the Ultimates, lead by 'Captain America'. Other countries are following suit, admitting the presence of their own teams, including Canada, the UK, China, and Russia. It's expected that other countries are forming teams but have not yet admitted it.
Some NY organized crime families have also begun actively recruiting mutant members.
3. After a violent overthrow of the existing regime, there is a mutant government on a small island in the Indian Ocean. After the revolution, it was renamed Mekanix by the new leader who apparently has the ability to control machines at a great distance. A US spyplane was brought down apparently simply by the desire of the leader when it crossed his declared border.
Far from being a mutant utopia, however, a small group of powerful mutants forms the ruling class, while humans and other mutants form the underclass. Mutants who are judged to be too much of a threat to the rulers are executed, others are used as slave labour. Every person in the country is tested for mutancy at puberty and branded with a symbol indicating their status. The US has cut off all diplomatic relations to the country, and there are calls to send in the Ultimates if the country's leader follows through on his threats to invade other countries.
4. Magneto has been largely absent. Rumor has gotten through the rest of the Brotherhood that he's planning to capture an asteroid and establish a mutant nation free of any worries of Earth-bound governments. Others say he's dead. Meanwhile the rest of the American/Australian branches of the Brotherhood has made great advancements adapting Forge's technology to their own systems, and have taken over the running of the Mass. Academy, buying it from someone handling Emma's financial affairs in her absence. There has been some talk of moving the New York portion of the gate to the Academy, but it hasn't happened yet (and would be up to players).
Other former cells of the European Brotherhood have formed their own splinter groups, some of which have come to America.
Among the US Brotherhood's current targets is a rising movement of humans who believe they can and should develop their own superhuman abilities by harvesting the bodies of mutants. Many of their active agents have harvested arms or legs that the Brotherhood has determined comes from the same mutant, that they believe is a healer. There's rumors of drugs on the market which are produced from the glands of living mutants, that give temporary powers to those who take it.
5) In terms of major NY events shaping public opinion in the world: Pop star Britney Spears was attacked by mutants calling themselves Morlocks during a concert. Many died, including Spears herself. The apparent instigator of the attack was captured, but later escaped from custody. For a while after this, obvious mutants in particular were seen as potentially violent and portrayed that way in the media. Even in some mutant communities there's been some friction between 'showers' (obvious mutants)and 'passers' (mutants who can easily pass in normal society, and who choose to do so for any reason).
During the most recent X-Mas break, one of the buildings in Columbia University completely disappeared, leaving only bare Earth. Almost 100 people were inside and presumably dead - many more would have been killed if classes were in session. Although there has been no evidence, mutants were blamed, and a number of both mutant and human terrorist groups have claimed responsibility. The OMA has left the case open but is operating under the theory that the mutant responsible also died (or disappeared) in the event.
There's been a significant mutant backlash in New York since these events, although it's starting to wane in recent months.
A charity event put on by local NY mutants for disaster relief didn't raise expected amounts of money, but did help smooth over some relations and went off without major problems - protests and screaming matches, but no violence.
Lord of the Rings star Elijah Wood has been outed as a mutant in the tabloids, and later admitted this fact on Oprah. (This name is subject to change)
6) In addition to standard technological progress in the last year, the US government has managed to produce telepathic dampener shields that fit on the head, as well as area units that blanket a small area with static that prevent reading or control (but cause migraines in some people with extended exposure). They're not available for public purchase yet (although many people claim to sell such items, they don't actually work), but important government buildings are protected and if you have the connections you can get protection for yourself. The head units are conspicous, though can be covered by a hat or helmet.. however, most can only operate for a few hours before battery power runs out.
7) To help facilitate new players taking over old characters with complicated RP, in addition to the '1 year gap', we're declaring that at some point in the last year the mutant community was plagued by a creature pretending to be a mutant, which ate memories. It never ate all of a person's memories, but specific bits, especially certain dramatic or traumatic memories went missing and could not be retrieved even by telepaths. The drains were not directly observable in any way, and not even telepaths were immune, so it took quite a while to even notice the problem.
|Wednesday, April 13th, 2005|
Ok I've been trying to figure out how to get around Erik's massive Ego and get him to join up with Charles and have the two get along more or less without instantly wanting to have a major fight.
So this is what I've come up with so far.
What would cause Magneto to willinging join forces with the xmen? What could cause such chaos that they'd have no alternatives? What would cause Xavier to trust Erik? Well since some of the people are going through this 'seige perilous'/ Memory Eater what if Magneto himself were a victim. It would explain why he might suddenly start acting a bit different, and he'd be 'good' for a while before he started remembering things.
The Brotherhood could have been activly going after some mythosy group & their pet Memory eater that had previously attacked some mutants. Or Perhaps the group in question decides the Brotherhood is just getting out of hand and decides to attack them instead. Which might be more likely. The main strong hold is over run, mass chaos occurs, Brotherhood forces fight back but there are great losses and they end up falling back. Before Erik finally falls to the Memory Eater's attack he's able to warn Xavier of it's existance thus the 'They are coming for you next' line is given. While he has issues with Xavier he still doesn't want to see them wiped out either.
Thus with Erik going through a "I don't remember every thing' stage He's less likely to cause major issues and maybe Xavier will think he has a chance to 'reform' Erik and get him working for his cause. This will also allow him to fully believe in the Excelsior / Pro Mutant idea until it gets up off the ground.
Of course Erik will eventually start to remember things and Humanity in all it's wisdom will do plenty of things to piss him off into going back to his bad old ways.
Thougths? Queries? Love it? Hate it? No throwing of tomatos please..
So, is the Special K idea the only one we have so far for the crisis that will driver the Xers and BH together? And the one that people are all agreed on or are there more ideas floating around?
Not that it's likely to affect me initially if the Excelsior idea floats, but I'm curious. ;)
|Monday, April 11th, 2005|
So, we're looking for events that could drive the Brotherhood to call for assistance from the X-men and end up living together, etc.
Are there any ideas floating around so far?
|Sunday, April 10th, 2005|
Year Gap/Reinvention Suggestions
So far, I think there’s been three ideas presented in one form or another as to a compromise on an out and out retcon. The more I ponder the ideas, the more I like one or a combination of them in lieu of an actual retcon.
1. The mnemovore. A mutant or mythos creature who feeds on the memories of it’s victims. We could say that the creature finds mutant brains to be especially tasty, hence why he targets them. During the year break, the mnemovore is presumably found and stopped.
2. Daoloth-a-bang-bang. In some way, shape, or form, someone summons or infects Daoloth’s presence on New York at large, causing mutants to walk away as though portions of their past (from what I understand) did not happen. Anyone not affected doesn’t have this luxury, however. The spell used to invoke Daoloth could in fact be known as the Siege Perilous, to bring some Marvel continuity into it. As well, if it’s a cult that’s behind it, another Marvel continuity example could be having the cult led by Kulan Gath. In canon, he cast a spell that transformed New York back to a medieval time period.
3. The Pod People. Two different ideas here. Either the Pod People still exist in some form, or someone’s experimenting with their genetic cloning procedures (Sinister comes to mind). Kirk made a good point that this option may be good for individual examples, but not the game as a whole (a handful of characters, not every character who comes along). In this case, it may be a good idea to couple this one with one of the two options above.
So…thoughts? Which ones do you prefer?